The 2022 African Genius Awards, which is to be held in South Africa, is underway. The African Genius Award is an annual event by Priority Performance Projects, South Africa, its main aim is to recognize exceptional Africans that are contributing immensely towards the realization of African determination, dignity and exceptionalism.
“When all is said and done, a genius should have a net positive contribution to society.”- Dr. Sifiso Falala, Founder of The African Genius Awards
It’s important as Africans to tell our story because that will validate our distinct cultural values and diversify our understanding of who we truly are and what we are made of. The African Genius Awards is not only awarding and recognizing these exceptional and hard-working Africans, it’s created to uplift the African spirit in them and make them realize their speciality and uniqueness. As we have been seeing the Europeans, Asians, and Americans pushing effortlessly to undermine the ingenuity of Africans by willingly ignoring talented Africans and geniuses in top global awards, the African Genius Awards came into the scene to solve this problem by recognizing, appreciating and awarding exceptional and inspiring Africans that are contributing towards the growth of Africa.
- The African Genius Awards came into existence in 2021 and inaugurated the first edition of the African Genius Awards. The African Genius Awards invite nominations of individuals who possess unique, rare attributes, characteristics and skills who have used them to address challenges or exploit opportunities to impact African societies in ways that are uplifting, transformative, build the esteem of Africans and inspire them to make significant contributions to the continent and its countries’ development in specific ways, sectors and in general.
- Steve Bantu Biko, Aliko Dangote, and Chinua Achebe are the first to win the African Genius Award.
- The 2022 African Genius Awards is scheduled to take place on the 25th of May 2022 at the University of Pretoria’s Future Africa campus and institute.
- Due to the nature of the Covid-19 pandemic and its mutations, with South Africa suffering the most among African countries, the 2022 African Genius Awards will be held virtually (online).
- Winners will be given trophies inscribed with the African Genius Awards logo and their name on it, whilst the top finalists will receive a medal of honour.
- Currently, there are over 50 nominees for the 2022 African Genius Awards, with the likes of Professor PLO Lumumba, Nana Kwame Bediako, Ishmael Alfred Charles, Kelvin Doe, Djiby Guisse, Joshua Maponga, Her Excellency Dr Arikana Chihombori-Quao, VUSI THEMBEKWAYO, Alhaji Ahmad Siraj Bah, Jeremiah Thoronka, Maram Kaire, and others.
- The Permanent Adjudication Committee for the African Genius Awards consists of Professor Tawana Kupe Vice-Chancellor and Principal of the University of Pretoria, Professor Steven Friedman Director of the Centre for the Study of Democracy at Rhodes University and the University of Johannesburg, Dr Pulane Molokwane, a Nuclear Physicist and an Environmental Specialist with expertise in groundwater remediation, nuclear waste, process and solid waste management, Fulufhelo Ntsandeni, currently the CEO of MIH Advisory and has 12 years experience in the industry, Simon Gathua, author, and Dr Rosaire Ifedi, an Associate Professor in the United States of America in the Department of Educational Foundations and Instruction.
- The official partners for the 2022 African Genius Awards are: the University of Pretoria, University of Johannesburg, Plus 94 Research, The African Dream, 702., Gordon Institute of Business Science, Project Ndhimle, and Charlotte Mannya-Maxeke Institute
- You need not to be worried about where and how to watch the 2022 African Genius Awards. The awards will be shown live on The African Dream YouTube channel, African Genius YouTube channel, and University of Pretoria YouTube channel
- You can take a look at the previous award ceremony held in 2021 at the University of Pretoria